The Medical Society of Virginia (MSV) understands the needs of physicians today. That’s because MSV, a not-for-profit membership association, represents a diverse group of physicians who know that medicine now extends beyond caring for patients. MSV’s commitment is to steadfastly advocate for physicians on important policies and issues that impact the health of Virginians and the business and regulatory aspects of medicine so that physicians can maintain viable practices.
Through its association, insurance agency, foundation, and political action committee, MSV’s team of passionate physician leaders and staff work each day to provide a variety of programs and services designed to make Virginia the best place in which to practice medicine.
We are seeking a Director of Health Policy to be a strategic leader in the development of MSV policy vision, long-term agenda and positions in the areas of government affairs and legislation, regulatory activities pertaining to the practice of medicine and physician services activities relevant to the operational and business aspects of the practice of medicine.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Develop legislative and regulatory strategy and policy for MSV in conjunction with physician leadership and senior staff
- Interact professionally and knowledgably with a variety of physicians, practice managers, government, health plan and association stakeholders
- Lead policy strategy initiatives for all MSV entities
- Monitor state and federal legislative and regulatory activities and prepare internal reports and studies related to these issues
- Lead/staff a variety of internal and external medical and health-related committees, work groups, task forces and boards
- Manage/oversee MSV’s House of Delegates and the internal policy-making process
- Lead the development and implementation of health policy strategic planning and implementation activities for the policy team
- Develop and present policy studies and analysis to the MSV Board, Executive Committee, and the Reference Committees of the MSV House of Delegates
- Represent and/or act as liaison to various public and private organizations, workgroups or committees dealing with issues relevant to the MSV
- Manage and develop designated staff
- Some travel in-state as well as to state and national meetings.
- Position includes evening, overnight and weekend responsibilities as assigned.
Qualified candidates should have:
- A bachelors or graduate degree, post-graduate education, and/or equivalent experience is required, preferably in health administration, health policy, public health, political science, or a related discipline.
- 5- 8 years of relevant and management experience
- Knowledge of health care policy and medical economics at the state and federal level, to include both regulatory and statutory requirements.
- Ability to analyze and assess legislative and regulatory initiatives for their impact on medicine.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures of Medicare, Medicaid, state and local health department operations, and physician regulatory and oversight bodies.
- Knowledge of private sector health care policy and practice, to include health care reimbursement mechanisms; third party payer policies, procedures and contracts; hospital and medical staff policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of ancillary health care entities that influence medical practice, to include data collection entities, private accreditation entities, and individuals and organizations representing non-physician health care providers.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational, time management and activity planning skills.
If you meet these requirements, please forward your cover letter and resume to [email protected].